RENTING A CAR SEAT ANYWHERE IN SOUTH AFRICA
As a result of the mostly poor practices when it comes to car seat hire in South Africa, we at Precious Cargo have decided to offer car seat rentals as a service to safety conscious parents traveling within South Africa.
Our priority is your child’s safety. Let us take the stress out of traveling with your car seats and rest at ease that your child is safe in a well maintained, high scoring, independently crash tested car seat.
We rent out new, high scoring car seats. They are cleaned and inspected after each use, and will be serviced regularly.
We hire out new, high scoring Maxi Cosi and Britax (Volvo) car seats that offer the best safety for children at all stages including; rear facing infant seats to 13kg, extended rear facing toddler seats to 18kg and 25kg and highback boosters to 36kg. Our car seats are all new, and they are inspected and cleaned as per the manual instructions, after every use. The local distributor will service our seats regularly.
VOLVO (BRITAX) MAXWAY
The Volvo Maxway is an extended rear facing car seat, suitable from 9 months to approximately 5 years. It installs with seatbelt.
MAXI COSI 2WAY PEARL & 2WAYFIX BASE
The Maxi-Cosi 2way Pearl is a toddler car seat suitable from 9-18.5kg/67-105cm. It installs with isofix.
MAXI COSI CABRIOFIX & EASYFIX BASE
The Maxi Cosi CabrioFix is a lightweight infant car seat suitable from birth to 13kg. The Easyfix base installs with seatbelt OR isofix
Please contact us if you are not sure which car seat will be best for your child. We are available telephonically should you have any difficulty using it or installing it. Our reliable courier will leave the seat your destination prior to your arrival, with packaging materials and the manual.
When you leave your destination, you repackage the seat and leave it at an agreed destination where our couriers will collect it.
HIRING A CAR SEAT SAFELY
We have had countless parents posting on Car Seat Support South Africa that they had hired a car seat, only to find that it was in poor condition, not suitable for their child’s age/weight/height and/or that there was no manual so they had no idea how to install it.
We investigated a few car seat hire options ourselves, and were shocked at what we saw:
- Car seats were unsafe for use
- Car seats were incorrectly maintained
- No policy to replace car seats after an accident
- Car seat are not independently crash tested
CAR SEAT HIRE CHECKLIST
Before you rent a car seat, call the rental company and try to find out the following information:
- Which makes and models the offer?
- Are they ECE approved?
- What are the weight and height limits? Is it suitable for your child's age, weight and height?
- How they are installed (isofix, seatbelt, top tether and/ lower tethers) and does your rental car have the required attachments?
- How are the seats cleaned?
- Do they inspect the seats for damage, including under the covers to check the EPS?
- How old are their seats and what is their replacement policy?
- Have the seats been independently crash tested, and if so, do they score well?